Did you know that the adult human body contains about 60 percent water? Research also shows that as little as two percent fluid loss can cause damage to your memory, mood, and concentration.
For this reason, staying hydrated cannot be overemphasized, especially in today’s age when temperatures continue to get warmer.
Often when you think of keeping hydrated, water immediately comes to mind but there are several other healthy beverage options that can do you as much good. Which of these healthy Ghanaian beverages have you tried so far?
The hype you’ve heard about indigenous healthy Ghanaian beverages is legit. They have tremendous health benefits, from relieving minor ailments like indigestion to protecting you from catching flu or cold. More importantly, they have simple DIY recipes, and the ingredients are easy to find in the local markets across all regions.
Let me introduce you to four local healthy Ghanaian beverages to make at home.
Prekese is a natural spice that is very good for the body. Promotes healing of wounds and helps Control diabetes are some of the health benefits of Prekese.
Ingredients: Prekese fruit, sugar/honey, and spices (ginger, cloves, and aniseed)
- First, wash your ingredients crush your spices and prepare syrup, strain and leave to cool.
- Cut prekese fruits into average medium sizes
- Boil for about 25 minutes.
- Finally, strain and mix with syrup. Chill and serve.
Ingredients needed: Waakye leaves, sugar/honey, and spices(ginger, cloves, and wedeeaba)
- Wash all your ingredients crush your spices and prepare syrup, strain and leave to cool.
- Later boil your waakye leaves for 15 minutes, strain, and leave them to cool.
- Mix both liquids and refrigerate Serve with biscuits.
Emudro (Ginger Drink)
Emudro is perfect for a warm day and it’s an immune-boosting, anti-inflammatory, and healing Ginger drink.
Ingredients: Ginger, sugar/honey, lemon, and cloves.
- Wash your ingredients.
- Wash and chop your ginger, crush cloves, add sugar and water. Boil for 30 – 40 minutes and leave it to cool.
- Blend and strain the ginger mixture to remove the chaff.
- Squeeze lemon into your ginger drink. Chill and serve.
Zomkom (Millet Drink)
Quench your thirst with this delicious drink perfect for everyone. Zomkom helps with indigestion and
Ingredients: millet, ginger, dry pepper, cloves, and sugar.
- Wash ingredients and soak all ingredients overnight.
- Blend the overnight soaked ingredients and strain the mixture to remove chaff.
- Add sugar and stir. Chill and serve.
By: Thelma Anowaa.
A Fashion and Lifestyle Writer from Ghana, West Africa. Always had a dream of becoming a Public Relations practitioner but somehow her hobby turned into an exciting journey filled with experiences in creative writing, content managing, and copywriting.